Adam D. Koos, CFP®, CMT® was born in Oberlin, Ohio. As the oldest of four children, he was very ambitious, passionate, giving, and always knew he wanted to make a significant impact in the lives of others. He moved to Columbus in 1996 to attend college at The Ohio State University, where he met his best friend and bride, Donna.
Shortly after graduation, at the 2002 Ohio State vs. m*ch*g*n game, Adam arranged for The Ohio State Marching Band to surround he and Donna outside St. John’s Arena, where he dropped to a knee and proposed. They were married the very next year and after seven fun, child-free years, they opened up a new chapter in their lives with two amazing boys, Karston & Kamden.
When he’s not being the best father and husband he can be, Adam loves sitting outside, watching thunderstorms come in with a nice glass of bourbon or tequila, coupled with a unique cigar. A lifetime “car guy,” he enjoys taking Karston and Kamden to gawk at elite and/or restored cars, alongside his foundation, “Kars for Kids,” a non-profit that organizes events for kids who’ve lost a parent to get a dream ride in an amazing vehicle.
While time is a scarce commodity, he enjoys playing sand volleyball year-round with Donna and their friends, tries to get a game of golf or tennis in a few times each summer, and is an extremely passionate football fan. In fact, Adam has attended more than 120 home Buckeye games since 1995 and has been a relentless supporter of the Cleveland Browns, through thick and thin!
Adam started his career in 2001, just days before the World Trade Center was attacked, which means he has had to help his clients through two of the worst market crashes in history.
He is one of 2,400+ Chartered Market Technicians® and one of only 62 individuals in the world who have earned both the CMT charter, as well as the CFP® certification.
- Locally, Adam has been named one of Central Ohio’s “20 People to Know in Finance” by Business First,
- Is a recipient of the 2011 Business First Greater Columbus “Forty Under 40″ award,
- A 5-time winner of Columbus CEO Magazine’s “Best of Business” awards (winning “Best Financial Advisory Firm”),
- Has been named one of central-Ohio’s “Top Fee-Only Financial Planning Firms” by Business First for three years in a row,
- Although, the piece of recognition he’s most proud of is being named a winner of the Better Business Bureau “Torch Award for Ethics & Trust.”
In addition to all the recognition he’s received here in Ohio, Adam has also been nationally recognized by:
- Financial Advisor Magazine as one of only eight portfolio managers chosen to their “Research All-Star Team” for research and investment management.
- Investopedia named him as one of the top-100 Most Influential Financial Advisors in the U.S.
- Proactive Advisor Magazine interviewed and featured him on the cover of their magazine with a focus on his patented, Defense First® investment management strategy.
While he spends a good bit of time managing the everyday inner-workings of the company and assisting our other financial advisers with high-level, complex financial, retirement, and estate planning needs, Adam’s primary role at Libertas is managing all of our corporate and individual client investment portfolios.
Raised in a family of teachers, he has also become an accomplished speaker, writer, and educator, providing programs and workshops for corporations, non-profits, and other organizations, both private and public.
Lastly, Adam is an accomplished columnist and formerly a regular contributor to the Wall Street Journal’s MarketWatch “Trading Deck.” You can also find many of his columns in Forbes, US News & World Report, Yahoo! Finance, Fox Business, Investopedia, and many others. Locally, he has either been interviewed by, or written articles for Business First, The Columbus Dispatch, and has appeared several times on WBNS 10TV.