February 13th is Galentine’s Day, the unofficial holiday for women celebrating women, “ladies celebrating ladies.” – Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation.
Whether this Wednesday includes a get together with friends over some waffles and conversation, or simply being in the office with your team of ladies, be sure to let them know what you admire about them today. Be in the moment and intentional for Galentine’s Day.
Why having a team of supportive gals matters:
- In a professional setting, the deeper your connections and the more of them there are, the more opportunities for networking that exist.
- If you are faced with a tough decision, one that isn’t your area of expertise, lean on your friends and their connections.
A quick reminder: Our ability to make friends in the workplace is an asset.
On a more personal note, we are too hard on ourselves as women and should be celebrating our successes when they happen. You need one member on your team (at least) to remind you of your hard work and that’s always willing to celebrate you. A supportive team really comes in handy when life throws you a curve ball, or 10. Your friends will continue to motivate you through those bad times. If you have ever watched an interview of a successful athlete or been to events where CEOs are asked to speak, 100% of those individuals give thanks to their supportive friends and family.
Hard work + grit + supportive relationships = SUCCESS
It isn’t possible for women to celebrate women if you don’t know what you’re celebrating. Your friends should know your goals! Make Galentine’s Day 2019 the reason for sharing your goals with your friends. You might just find that someone on your team or in your circle can help you achieve what you’re after!
If you find that your circle could be bigger and you’re feeling inspired to help more women, consider donating your talent, time, or treasure to a local organization.
Some of my favorites include:
- Women for Economic Leadership and Development www.weldusa.org
- Dress for Success www.columbus.dressforsuccess.org
- Ruling our eXperiences (ROX) https://rulingourexperiences.com/
- Women’s Fund of Central Ohio http://www.womensfundcentralohio.org/
“We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third.” – Leslie Knope
Happy Wednesday/Galentine’s Day!
-Heather Atkins, CRPC®